Formula High School Track Day Event
Date change: May 11-12, 2013
May 11, 2013 – Location: Behind the Orion Tire Center
May 12, 2013 – Location: Blain’s Farm & Fleet Motorplex
Teams: New Rules are posted for the 2011-12 competition year.
READ CAREFULLY! We have made some interesting changes!
The Wisconsin Formula High School project was created to allow students who are interested in motorsports, engineering, and technology areas a realistic outlet to showcase their skills and talents. Students who are involved in athletic competitions have regular meets or games in which they compete to see how their abilities compare with other schools. Students involved in Formula High School will now have the opportunity to compete against other schools in a controlled racing time-trial event. Each team is responsible for constructing a vehicle to a strict set of guidelines. These guidelines help the students construct a safe vehicle that closely resembles the current SCCA Formula First race vehicle. Although the competition vehicles may appear cosmetically similar, the differences in the drivetrains, alignment, and steering geometry make for spirited competition. Despite the Formula High School event being held at a prominent motorsports facility, the focus of the project is to help the students develop the engineering and technical skills that are vital to our nation’s manufacturers.
The goals of the high school formula project are:
- Increasing awareness of engineering and technical careers
- Promoting teamwork and interpersonal skills among competitors
- Construction of a product with specific tolerances and deadlines
- Applying knowledge from other disciplines to an engineering problem
- Connect the schools and students to their local manufacturers
- Apply the concepts of marketing and increase the student’s public relation skills
The 2010-11 teams were busy AGAIN! Congratulations to the following teams:
- Green Bay Preble WiSTEM Type 1 Roadster team took 1st place in the SkillsUSA Wisconsin Engineering Challenge.
- Green Bay Preble Team Culver’s FHS team took 2nd plane in the SkillsUSA Wisconsin Engineering Challenge.
- Green Bay Preble WiSTEM Type 1 Roadster team also took 1st place at the NWTC Tech Challenge.
Past Team Accomplishments:
- Sun Prairie – 1st Place in the SkillsUSA Wisconsin Engineering Challenge, 2nd at the National competition.
- Waunakee – 3rd Place in the SkillsUSA Engineering Challenge
- Team Vortex/NAPA Green Bay Preble – Star 1st Place NWTC Tech Challenge – Prototype
- Team PDQ Green Bay Preble – 1st Place NWTC Tech Challenge – Prototype
- Ashwaubenon - 2nd NWTC Tech Challenge - Prototype
- Ashwaubenon - 1st NWTC Car Show